Counselor IB (Part-time – 20 hours/week) Manzanita House – Short Term Crisis Residential Program
JOB DESCRIPTION: Under the supervision of the Assistant Program Director, the incumbent performs the following duties:
1. Assess clients for current potential of suicide, violence and substance abuse. Enter data, as needed, into computer.
2. Remain aware of general mood/tone of house and act in manner responsive to situation.
3. Identify, assess and respond to crisis situations.
4. Lead a weekly topic group; plan and facilitate group weekend activities.
5. Assist with supervising resident outings and other recreational activities.
6. Provide informal supportive counseling and guidance to individual residents.
7. Assist in facilitating weekend chore meetings and house clean-up.
8. Document in staff log and residents’ progress notes. Enter information into computer files and databases.
9. Assist residents with self-administration of medications. Maintain updated knowledge of psychiatric medications and keep accurate medication records.
10. Assist and supervise residents with cooking, housecleaning and yard maintenance. Perform housecleaning and clerical duties on a daily basis.
11. Participate in monthly staff meetings, be willing and able to address issues that relate to coworker communication, collaborate/deliberate on resident review and agency business.
12. Other duties as assigned by the Program Director.
AGENCY: INTERIM, Inc. is a private non-profit agency that provides residential treatment, affordable housing, and social rehabilitation programs for adults with psychiatric disabilities.
POSITION: Counselor IB
HOURS: Part-time, 20 hrs/wk; primarily on weekends; nonexempt, eligible for overtime.
QUALIFICATIONS: High School Diploma required, BA in related field preferred. Two years’ experience in related field; examples of acceptable experience include, but are not limited to work with adults with psychiatric disabilities and/or substance abuse disorders using a social rehabilitation model; work in a residential or in-patient treatment program or providing counseling or support services to this population; work with emotionally disturbed adolescents or other disabled population in a residential treatment facility or lived, work or family experience with consumers of mental health services. BA in related field may be substituted for experience. Familiarity with Microsoft Office is helpful.
PHYSICAL & SENSORY REQUIREMENTS:
Ability to operate a motor vehicle; Ability to climb stairs; Ability to see well enough to read data on a computer screen, documents being word-processed, etc.; Ability to hear normal conversations and answer phones; Ability to verbally communicate with staff, residents and agency visitors orally and in writing; hand, finger and body coordination sufficient to use computer and other office machines, file, and write legibly. Ability to access and move about in all portions of facilities and to monitor residents by sight and sound, maintain house safety and assist clients in evacuation of facility in case of emergency. Hand finger and body coordination sufficient to assist and instruct residents in living skills.
Capable of the following extended activities: standing, sitting, climbing stairs.
Capable of the following intermittent activities: lifting up to 25 pounds and bending in the performance of infrequently performed office duties.
Possess good oral and written English communication skills; bilingual preferred; criminal record clearance; over 18 (or having driver’s license a minimum of 2 years); valid California driver's license; auto in safe operating condition; auto liability insurance.
***Applicants must complete an Interim Application for Employment in order to be considered for the position. To learn more about Interim and to apply for this position, please go to our website at http://www.interiminc.org/employment/ .
Interim, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Interim Inc. is guided by the precept that in no aspect of its programs, services or employment practices shall discrimination be permitted because of race, color, national origin, gender, age, creed, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition, citizen status, veteran status, military status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other characteristic protected by state or federal law. To comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act and other applicable laws ensuring equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with a disability, reasonable accommodations are made for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified individual with a disability, unless hardship, direct threat to health or safety, or other job-related consideration exists. Individual who feel that they have been unlawfully discriminated against because of membership in one of the protected classes should contact the following: Director of Human Resources, Interim, Inc., PO Box 3222, Monterey, CA 93942. (831) 649-4522.