Counselor IB - Bridge House
The ideal candidate will be successful working in a residential treatment program which is operated on a social rehabilitation therapeutic community model.
WHO WE ARE
Looking to make a difference? Our mission at Interim is to provide services and affordable housing to supporting members of our community with mental illness by building productive and satisfying lives in a world in which people with mental illness are able to live, work, learn and participate fully in the community. Join our team and instill hope in the community.
WHAT WE OFFER
An exceptional benefit package including; Medical/Dental/Vision/403(b) retirement plan and Life Insurance. Offers competitive vacation and sick time. HOW TO APPLY
Competitive Compensation; Nonexempt; 33 hours/week; Eligble for Overtime.
Required: High school diploma or GED required. Two years’ experience in related field; examples of acceptable experience include, but are not limited to work with adults with psychiatric disabilities and/or substance abuse disorders using a social rehabilitation model, or working in a residential or in-patient treatment program, or providing counseling or support services to this population, or working with other disabled population. B.A. in related field may be substituted for experience. Good written and oral English communication skills, ability to work as a member of a team, to accept supervision, to maintain appropriate boundaries while working in close inter-personal relationships. Ability to learn and apply principles of social rehabilitation. Ability to be organized, responsible, flexible, empathic and able to relate effectively with clients, other staff, professional and members of the community. Ability to learn and perform computer-based tasks including word processing and data entry.
Preferred: BA in related field and knowledge of community resources desirable.
Valid California driver's license; auto in safe operating condition; auto liability insurance; good driving record; criminal record clearance; proof of authorization to work in the United States as required by Immigration and Reform Act of 1986. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the supervision of the Program Manager, the Counselor IB will assist with the following duties:
1. Conduct intake and interviews, assess for current potential of suicidality, violence and substance abuse. Enter data, as needed, into computer.
2. Remain aware of general mood/tone of house and act in manner responsive to situation. Identify, assess and respond to crisis situations.
3. Willingness and ability to work in crisis emergency situations.
4. Provide informal supportive counseling and guidance to individual residents.
5. Document in staff log and residents’ progress notes. Enter information into computer files and databases.
6. Assist residents with self-administration of medications. Maintain updated knowledge of psychiatric medications and keep accurate medication records.
7. Assist and supervise residents with cooking, menu planning, shopping, housecleaning and yard maintenance with focus on kitchen and food services. Perform housecleaning and clerical duties on a daily basis.
8. Assist with supervising resident outings and other recreational activities.
9. Participate in monthly staff meetings, be willing/able to address issues that relate to coworker communication, collaborate/deliberate on resident review and agency business.
10. Assist in facilitating weekend chore meetings and house clean-up.
11. Lead a weekly topic group; plan and facilitate group weekend activities.
12. Provide transportation to evening 12 step meetings.
13. Other duties as assigned by the Program Director.
Ability to: operate a motor vehicle; climb stairs; possess good communication skills; meet the requirements of the classification and have mobility, vision, hearing and dexterity levels appropriate to the duties to be performed. Capable of the following extended activities: standing, sitting, climbing stairs.
Capable of the following intermittent activities: lifting 25 pounds or more and bending in the performance of infrequently performed office duties.